Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Relishing the spring produce

What a weird year it's been weather wise. Snow, warm, snow, warm, freezing like the arctic circle, snow, HOT, cold and rain rain rain. Seemed like we would have another early warm spring (and early warm planting season) but, alas, that was not to be. Finally we are starting to see the lovely spring produce and cool weather crops hitting the farm stands and markets

One of my favorite cool weather veggies is the humble radish. Crunchy, a little heat, a little sweet, and such beautiful red color. LOVE radishes !!! Over the winter months I browsed lots of blogs, websites and books looking for the right recipes to make this little veggie shine, as well as give me something new to make for the cupboard, and I happened upon a recipe for Radish Relish. So........ I had to, of course, make my own adjustments to make it "my own" so here it is, and I hope you enjoy.


Radish Relish

2 lbs red radishes, cut into tiny matchsticks
1 cup finely minced onion
1 tsp ground ginger
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 Tb kosher salt
1 Tb whole coriander seed, slightly crushed after measuring
1 Tb cumin seed
1 Tb mustard seed (I used brown- any color is fine)
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar

Cut radishes into tiny matchsticks. The reference recipe said to shred them but I like more crunch and bite to relishes.


Combine vegetables with seasonings and set aside.


In large non-reactive pot bring vinegar and sugar to boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add veggies to boiling brine, stir well, return to boil. 


Prepare half pint jars for boiling water bath canning (warm lids in hot water, sterilize jars in boiling water). Ladle hot relish into jars with half and inch headspace. Wipe rim of jar, fix lid and ring and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes (start processing time when water is at a full rolling boil).

I can't wait to try this out on a freshly grilled steamy brat with some yummy stone ground mustard !!



No comments:

Post a Comment