Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Farmers Market Day



Made my big debut at the Stuart Farmers Market. While it was not entirely successful, it was a learning experience and a beautiful warm, breezy day to enjoy being outside.  My jams, jellies and mustards were not the big hit I had hoped they would be, but that's ok.........I did score some awesome farm fresh veggies, one of which was a big yellow zucchini.



I already had three eggplants in the fridge from the Amish farm and knew I needed to use them up soon, I decided to go big and make a big batch of Eggplant Zucchini Parmesan



Here is what you will need:

Eggplant (I used three of the common oval purple type)
Zucchini (I used one of those bigger ones most people say are only good for baking)
soft breadcrumbs
eggs
salt, pepper
your favorite spaghetti or marinara sauce
parmesan cheese
mozzarella cheese
cooking oil

Wash vegetables and slice in about 1/2 inch think slices.  In a shallow bowl beat 2-3 eggs, season with salt and pepper.  Fill another shallow bowl with a mixture of 2 parts breadcrumbs, 1 part parmesan cheese.

I used soft breadcrumbs for better adhesion, so you will need to make these fresh. You can use any kind of bread you like, I went "budgety" and used a package of store brand hot dog buns, buzzed in the food processor.



Heat medium skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon or so of oil. Using egg wash and breadcrumbs, coat vegetable slices and place in skillet. Turn when browned. When browned on both sides place in square baking dish, overlapping slices. Continue with sliced vegetables until you have filled pan or pans. I used A LOT so I had one for dinner tonight and 3 for the freezer.



Ladle red sauce over vegetables in the pan. If you are baking now sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese to cover. Bake at 350 degrees 30-45 until bubbling and browned on top.



For those being frozen, skip the cheese. Wrap firmly with heavy duty foil, label and freeze. Add cheese later when baking (from frozen, 375-400 degrees 30-45 minutes covered, then uncover, sprinkle with cheese and bake another 30-45 minutes).



This is a delicious light dinner that has a very decadent lasagna type feel. You can add meat to the sauce if you must but you definitely don't need it. Serve with crusty bread and a salad !




No comments:

Post a Comment