Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Church Cookbook Food and Memories

As I've gone through my canning adventures this year, I've tried to find some new things to make and not just stick with the same basics. I came across this recipe in a canning group that I belong to on Facebook and it reminds me so much of coleslaw my grandmother used to make. Unlike the creamy, mayonnaisey coleslaw many of us are used to, this one is a sweet and sour vinegar dressing. It kind of reminds me of Perfection Salad, which is something my grandmother made for every family occasion. I call these dishes "church cookbook food" and many of them I have great memories associated with.



Grandma's Vinegar Coleslaw

1 medium head cabbage, shredded
1 large carrot, shredded
1 green pepper, finely chopped
(or use 1/2 red, 1/2 green)
1 small onion, finely diced
1 tsp salt

I resisted the desire to break out the fancy slicing attachments for the Kitchenaid, opting instead for the trusty Wusthof and board for slicing cabbage.


Sprinkle salt over vegetables, allow to rest 1 hour.


Drain any water from vegetables



Syrup:
3 cups vinegar
3/4 cup water
6 cups sugar
2 tsp celery seed
2 tsp mustard seed

Bring syrup ingredients to boil for one minute. remove from heat.

Pack vegetables in jars, cover with syrup. Wipe rims, adjust lids and rings. Process in BWB 15 minutes.



Like pickles, I think this is a recipe best left to mellow and mature for a few weeks before opening jars. Hopefully I can wait that long !! I can't wait to try a little of this slaw piled onto a pulled pork sandwich.

These old classic recipes are starting to make a comeback as more and more people get into canning and food preservation arts. I know alot of die-hards wouldn't even consider canning an old fashioned recipe that's no longer considered safe by Big Brother but for me......if Gramma fed her family, it's good enough for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment