Friday, September 28, 2012

Operation Faux Olives Part 1

I love a good food experiment. I do it all the time, play with textures and flavors and unusual combos. So as a Facebook user (City Girl, Country Life) I came across another Facebook page called Growing Gardens that had a post for an end-of-the garden kind of refrigerator pickle. I love reading what other people are doing in the garden and in the kitchen so I read their instructions:


  • Fill a quart jar 1/2 to 3/4 full with green beans
  • Fill remainder with green tomatoes, cut in quarters
  • Chop some fresh basil and pack that on top


Bring 3 cups of water to boil, stir in 1/2 cup salt until dissolved. Pour into vegetable jar. Add white vinegar to jar until full, close and store in fridge. After 2-3 week the pickles will be ready and the tomatoes will have a taste and texture similar to green olives. Kept in fridge, veggies will last 6-8 months.

Well, I couldn't help but wonder if the tomato CHUNKS taste like green olives, wouldn't green CHERRY tomatoes ? I asked the question on their page and they challenged me to try it so..... here we go!!

I knew I did not have enough cherry tomatoes to fill a quart jar- more like a half pint. So next comes the math. I guestimated on the boiling water and used a little less than 1/3 cup and enough to salt to make it "pickle salty". We'd already had a first frost so I had no fresh basil, I used just one dried leaf, crushed up. I poked each tomato with a toothpick, placed in the jar, added the water, topped off with vinegar, dated it, placed in fridge and now........ we wait........





Well, I am 4 days into the experiment and finding it EXTREMELY hard not to break into that jar and just see what one tastes like. I am going to try real real hard not to. I also heard from my canning enabler friend Janet that she has lots of green tomatoes for me, including cherries, so I will have more to experiment with and work on that olive brine flavor. Stay tuned !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment