Thursday, September 6, 2012

Holy Hot Sauce, Batman !!

Things are going to get verrrrrry interesting around here this weekend. My foodie friend Paula, who makes some of the hottest pepper sauces on the planet, has graciously sent me some samples of her hottest sauces, one with ghost chili as the primary pepper and the other with Trinidad Scorpion chili as the main ingredient. I am going to put some serious thought into how to best use these to get the best flavor, most impact, and the best possible review, so stay tuned for that update !

Until then, I hope you'll enjoy the jalapeno salsa I've been making this summer. Last year I made a salsa that was awfully heavy on the vinegar and we didn't love it. Didn't hate it, just didn't LOVE it. So this year I searched and searched for something a little different, a little more like commercial salsa but with plenty of HEAT because we love our hot peppers around here. I found this recipe on the University of Wisconsin Extension website and it turned out PERFECT.


10 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
5 cups diced peppers (I used 4 cups diced jalapenos WITH seeds and 1 cup diced red bell pepper)
1 cup chopped onion
6 cloves garlic, mined
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 Tb salt
1 Tsp cumin
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro (I used parsley)



Combine all ingredients in large saucepot, bring to boil. Boil gently for 10 minutes.


Ladle hot salsa into pint or half-pint jars with 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rims, fix seals and rings. Process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.

The Chef and I love this salsa so much we made a first batch and have already eaten 3 jars! I think this recipe is going to be a family favorite.


No comments:

Post a Comment